Most pregnant women feel confused about which fruit to eat during pregnancy. It is important to watch their diet as it plays an important role in the development and growth of the fetus. A nutritious diet is important for the overall health of the individual and assists in better functionality of the body and reduces the chances of certain diseases. In this blog, we have described why it is important to consume fruits during pregnancy and what fruits to consume during pregnancy.
Benefits of consuming fruits during pregnancy
Consuming the right foods during pregnancy helps in the growth of the baby. Additional consumptions of minerals and vitamins assist the pregnant woman to maintain their body in best and peaceful condition as much as possible. Eating sufficient fresh fruits during pregnancy assists to makes sure both the baby and women remain healthy. It is well known that fresh fruits are packed with sufficient essential nutrients and vitamins and also an excellent source of fiber.
More Info About : Superfoods During Pregnancy And Their Benefits
How much fruits to consume during pregnancy
Pregnant women are usually advised to consume five parts of fresh vegetables and fruits every day and to mix them if possible. Fruits in any form can be consumed like dried, frozen, canned or fresh.
The general rule to follow while consuming fruit is:
- Chopped fruits of about one cup
- When it comes to fruits that are bigger than a tennis ball, you can consume one piece
Consuming sufficient vegetables and fruits during pregnancy helps in minimizing the chances of certain defects and diseases and assists to nurture the woman’s body.
Top fruits to consume during pregnancy
Instead of consuming junk foods, it is best to eat fruits when you are pregnant. It is an excellent way to satisfy sugar cravings and boost your vitamin intake. We have listed top fruits to comprise in your pregnancy diet.
- Oranges: Oranges are rich in water, vitamin- C and folate. It keeps the individual healthy and hydrated. As it is rich in Vitamin- C, it helps with iron absorption and prevents cell damage. Folate assists to avoid neural tube defects that can results in spinal cord and brain abnormalities in the body.
- Apricots: Apricots are an excellent source of silicon, phosphorus, beta carotene, potassium, iron, calcium, Vitamin E, C and A. These are important nutrients that assist with the growth and development of the body. Calcium assists in the strong development of teeth and bones. Iron helps in preventing anemia.
- Mangoes: Mangoes have abundant Vitamin C and A nutrients. By just consuming a cup of Mangoes, you can easily meet one-third RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of Vitamin A and 100% RDA of Vitamin C.
- Pomegranates: Pregnant women should consume sufficient pomegranates as it is rich in fiber, protein, iron, folate, calcium and Vitamin K. It is a high source of energy. As it has high iron content, it aids in preventing iron deficiency.
- Pears: Pears are rich in nutrients like folate, potassium, and fiber. When pregnant women consume a lot of fiber, they will not have to undergo constipation. It is a common issue faced by most pregnant women. Potassium is good for heart health for babies and women. It also encourages cell regeneration.
- Avocados: It is highly rich in copper, potassium, B vitamins, fiber, monosaturated fatty acids, and Vitamins C, K and E. It contains healthy fats that offer energy. It also helps in preventing neural tube defects. Leg cramps are one of the common problems faced by most pregnant women. Avocados have high potassium and provide great relief to this issue.
Other suggested fruits for pregnant women include bananas, dried fruit, apples, grapes, guavas, and berries.