Knee Pain And Its Causes
The knee joint holds together our thighs and legs bringing together the bones, muscles, ligaments and cartilage. The thigh muscles and ligaments keep the knee joints together. The ligaments keep the bones from moving in the wrong direction. Knee pain is a common problem among elderly. The most common cause for knee pain is osteoarthritis. It is a condition that affects the joints in the body. It is a condition where the joints are damaged and do not move smoothly as it should be.
It is advisable to first consult a healthcare provider to identify the reason for the pain so you can take the right treatment. It is not always a health condition, there are cases where an injury or strenuous exercise is the reason for the pain. Exercises can be practiced at home which will suit most types of knee pains.
More Info About : Frozen Shoulders – Causes And Remedies
Exercises To Your Rescue
A few things that you can do to keep the knee pain at bay is to do low impact activities and if you are overweight then plan to bring it down to a healthy weight. It is advisable to do cycling and swimming and other low impact exercises for the knee. A few exercises are listed below:
- Knee squats: Hold onto a chair or table. Squat until your knee cap hides your big toe, hold and stand. Repeat 10 times.
- Leg cross: Sit on the edge of a bed, cross your ankles, and push your front leg back and back leg front and hold for 10 seconds. Switch legs and repeat 10 times.
- Leg stretch: Sit on the floor with legs stretched out. Slowly bend one knee as close to your body and hold it for seconds. Straighten, stretch and hold it for seconds. Repeat it 10 times with each leg. Sit/Stands: Sit on a chair and without any support stand and then sit back. Repeat this for one minute and your movements should be controlled and slow.
- Straight leg raise: Exercising your quadriceps is good for the knees. Sit on a chair with your back straight on the backrest. Straighten and lift one leg for and keep it till count 10. Slowly lower and repeat it till 10 times with each leg. You can do this by lying down, bending one knee and lifting the other leg straight up. Hold and repeat 5 times with each leg.
- Step ups: Step on to the stairs with the right foot, bring up the left foot and step down with the right foot followed by the left foot. Repeat this with each leg until you are short of breath.
Other Remedies For Knee Pain
There are other remedies for knee pains. Consult a healthcare provider and get prescription for creams and tablets. Give details about your health condition so the right medication can be prescribed. Physiotherapy is another solution for joint pains. They can suggest a variety of treatment after understanding your condition. For severe cases, surgeries are recommended.